Friday, October 17, 2008

Grapes in the Old Town

[Paleochora, Crete, Greece, 2007]


I am still mining the trove of pictures from last year. I hope you don't mind!


We were walking down the street in Paleochora, getting ready to pass by Barba Christos's house, preparing to be sad, for he had been gone for over a year. (In my own heart, I know his memory will be eternal.) But his door was open and there were Kleoni and Georgos. Kleoni had come from Hania and Georgos had come from Montreal. Georgos was staying in Christos's (his father and my great-uncle) house. Of course, we got swept up in a day of activities, including a perfect lunch at Captain Jim's, complete with barbounia.


Somehow, this photo, although absent of humanity, sums it all up for me. Christos's old, tiny, simple house, where he and Theano raised so many children, and with so much love, has an inner courtyard which is covered by a trellis. The grapes were hanging there, looking so beautiful. They were like memories, preserved for us. All we had to do was raise our eyes, and there they were.

4 comments:

MEDITERRANEAN KIWI said...

hey, we also ate a meal at captain jim's the last time we were in paleohora - great stuff!

MEDITERRANEAN KIWI said...

when i'm next in athens (maybe in march), i'll see if i can get to ariston...

Ivy said...

Hi Sifi. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Your post, is short but full of lovely memories.
I have now moved on to wordpress and in case you want to visit again, my new address is http://kopiaste.org

Sifi said...

Thanks, Ivy. Your site is quite wonderful. I love your recipes. I am still enjoying the healthy pesto made with purslane.